‘Nuru’ is an imaginary bird of happiness, which appears and sings to a person when he/she is really happy form inside, else the bird disappears.
Crafting Nuru aims to create happiness from crafts.. its mission is to bring the Nuru to the customers and the craftsmen in the process of rejuvenating traditional crafts though design education.
What is Crafting Nuru?
Crafting Nuru is an organization incepted at IIT Bombay in 2009. The organization has been incubated and supported by IIM Ahmedabad in India for its 1st year of existence.
Crafting Nuru aims at developing a self-sustainable, profitable system for empowering craftsmen through design and marketing education while providing employment opportunities. Crafting Nuru envisages Artisan-design schools to provide such education linked closely to Trade units that financially supports the Artisan-design schools.
The aim of these schools would be to provide training in product design, form cluster and cooperative units and provide product marketing to rural artisans so that they can expand their market reach and achieve greater independence in serving the growing urban retail markets.
Crafting Nuruhas a hybrid structure of organization with its 2 units, the linkage between the production and sales of goods creates a sustainable value chain.
1. Crafting Nuru Artisan-design schools: Not for profit bodies – The design and marketing institute which imparts general literacy as well as product development training to the craftsmen and helps them understand the market demands. It helps craftsmen form clusters, educates them about various government policies and helps them take advantage of those. Apart from this it gives a ‘Traditional Craft Designer’ Certificate to the students and guarantees them employment in the Crafting Nuru Production unit.
2. Crafting Nuru Trades: For profit entity – The unit which puts its efforts in marketing and promoting traditional craft products from rural area. It retails its products under ‘Crafting Nuru’ brand and has both designer and traditional ranges of craft products. Crafting Nuru Trades supports financially all the activities of the Crafting Nuru Institute. It also employs the Institute’s students in its production unit.
- Establish a profitable, socially conscious retail and trade company for handcrafted goods sourced directly from traditional, rural artisans who are under-represented in the Indian market
- Utilize profits from the company to establish and provide ongoing financial sustenance for Crafting Nuru Artisan-design Schools and
- Provide design training-related consultancy to other craft organizations enabling them to develop their own Artisan–design schools as per their requirement
Megha Agarawal Maheshwari
Founder Director : email@example.com
Leave feedback at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Centre for Innovation Incubation and Entrepreneurship,
Vastrapur – 380015